Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's not that i didn't like it, it just made me want to barf

I meant to go to the Wolfe-Suarez lecture, but I ended up at the Campaign Party event in the Student Union.  They had a lot of free food for such a low turn out, it didn't seem right to just grab a sandwich and leave. 
I did go to the Salinger lecture last week, and one thing I didn't mention in class was my reaction to most her recent work, the baseball gloves.  I thought it was really interesting that instead of a camera she used a scanner. After she had worked with the 4x5 for so long, the scanner seems like a strange leap. I guess it allowed her to manipulate the images in the way that she did.  The level of detail was disgusting.  I mean, I was really grossed out by the aged and cracked leather, and how deteriorated some of them were. And some of them resembled a hand more than others. Those were the worst because they were like bloated, rotting, amputated body parts. I thought it was really funny that while she was showing the gloves to us she made a point about how in order for photographers to be taken seriously they either have to do a series of fifty images or make them really really big.  I'm she didn't only make one, because they just got creepier and creepier. No matter  how much I wanted to look away, I couldn't.  

No comments: