Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hank Willis Thomas - The Cause Collective



The Cause Collective: Along the Way

Last night I went to hear Hank Willis Thomas Speak at the SF Art Institute. I've heard him before - in fact I invited him to Mills several years ago. I liked him then - thought he was a great speaker, - self-effacing, confident, and engaging- and I thought his work was important. It was very exciting to hear him speak again and feel all the more strongly about his work - and feel that despite his speedy ascension within the art world, he's sustained a powerful commitment to the integrity of his work.

Last I was particularly struck by his interest in collaboration. The above piece was created by the members of the Cause Collective-of which he is a member- and is installed at the Oakland Airport in the baggage claim area. I haven't seen it in place, but the whole piece is on the web at the above link. This isn't the only collaboratively created piece - much of the work he showed was made with one or more other artists.

I was also profoundly moved by his commitment to move from critique to transformation - to being a catalyst for change. Not that there is not still a real need for critique - but maybe even more this is a moment for new models, new ideas and conversation and connection between people.

No comments: