Friday, October 10, 2008

Adrienne Salinger lecture

I found Adrienne Salinger's lecture very interesting because she not only discussed her art and her process in detail but she was also very funny and relatable, especially when she shared her strange obsession with teeth and dental instruments. I admire how she was able to incorporate the things she likes to collect into her art work. She presented images from the many collections she has made throughout her artistic career, each one as fascinating as the next. I think what made her so interesting was her excitement for each project she discussed. Just listening to her talk about her art and her subjects, you know that she really enjoys talking to and getting to know her subjects or collecting other people's things, such as baseball gloves, skateboards, and self-help books, and getting to know those people in an indirect way through their belongings. When an artist shows that kind of excitement and passion for their work, I think the audience or observers can't help but be swept up by it also, at least for me anyway. I was disturbed, however, by the fact that she invited strange men into her home to be photographed for her middle-aged man project. She said that photography forces her to step outside her comfortable, protective bubble, which is something that I can relate to, but in creating that project, she went way beyond challenging her comfort zone and started leaning toward reckless behavior. Overall, I found Adrienne Salinger very interesting and I will most likely look to her photographs as a point of inspiration in the future. 

1 comment:

Iris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.