Saturday, November 29, 2008

Debra Pincus: Old Fonts and Stuff

It still makes me laugh how a lecture on The Renaissance Rediscovery of Ancient Writing can be so full that people have to pull up chairs and sit on the floor of the aisles. On the one hand, I appreciate the passion and efforts of the Debra Pincuses (Pincii...?) in this world, but it still blows my mind how much their work is valued, as seen in the size of the audience and the fancy catered reception that followed. Or maybe my beef isn’t with how much this work is valued, but with the fact that other work should be equally (or more) valued?

The main thing I learned was that the rediscovery of ancient Roman typography was extremely important to the Renaissance. This one important artist (whose name started with a "B") changed how he signed his name from one Roman typeface in one painting to another (Uppercase to lowercase) and this meant something groundbreaking and profound about Renaissance humanism, what exactly I’m not sure.

The more important lesson: I am not interested in Renaissance typography. I also do not want to ever enter a field that requires me to specialize in an extremely narrow time period and place and to present new analyses of it for ever and eternity. So: steering clear of art history and English Literature. Check!

1 comment:

kara said...

pincii... definitely. pinkeye? weyam your blogs are the funniest by far. i'm glad you (sort of) learned (something) from the lecture. it clearly sent you whizzing into an inspired place. word.