Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stuff I learned about on Saturday


This Saturday I went to the symposium at UC Berkeley. It was so wonderful and I learned so much. There were several photographers mentioned that we had talked about in class, like Nikki S. Lee and Moriko Mori, who fabricate costumes and identities  and situations to be photographed. Their work was even more fascinating when put into context with other work coming from Asian women artists.
  
One of the final panelists at the last lecture was O Zhang. I love how she plays with humor and beauty in the context of gender dynamics. She talked about how her work in photography happened out of boredom while she was studying at the very traditional Central Academy of Fine Art in Beijing. Photography wasn't considered fine art at that time (the early 90s) so she worked "underground" and finished school abroad in London.   

I couldn't pick just one photo to share 
so check out her website: http://web.mac.com/zhang_0/

No comments: